Friday, November 14, 2008

"Friday Sandwich"


To make a (potentially very) long story short........ My mother had to have a surgery last week and she is staying with us indefinitely until she feels well enough to manage on her own. (She is getting better, thank you!) Well, she is also incredibly hard of hearing and does not wear hearing aids. There are times when this can make for some very amusing conversations and today was the perfect example!

I was cleaning up the kitchen from breakfast and I was already beginning to think of the rest of the day and what I would be making for lunch, and then dinner.

So, I called out to Mom (resting in the living room) "how about a fried egg sandwich for lunch?".

She replied, "a what?"

Me: "A fried egg sandwich?"

Mom: "What's a Friday sandwich?"

Me: "NO, (slightly louder and slower) a FRIED EGG SANDWICH!"

Mom: "Oh, I thought you said Friday sandwich and I couldn't figure out what that was."

At this point we both burst out laughing, and a wonderful memory was made. From now on in, a fried egg sandwich will always be a "friday sandwich", and it will always make me think of my Mother!

Enjoy your Friday, and have a "Friday sandwich" on me!

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

What a neat memory. Can I keep it, too?

Kristy said...

That is so funny but so sweet at the same time. Cherish her , my Mom is only 65 and has Alzheimers and I would love to have that kind of "funny" with her. So give your mom a hug!!!!

Love, Kristy

Michele said...

Sound yummy to me. Can I have one? Pretty please!

I'd so love to be able to sit at your table and enjoy lunch with you and your mom. Dreaming, I know, but hopefully some day we will be able to do that on occasion.

Carol said...

yes, you will remember all those little crazy things.....my mom is gone, and I remember the smallest little things about her....she always made me laugh.......

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

I will have one... looks delicious... hope all is treating you well... take care